PyOpinion: Does Python Programming Marginalize You?

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Thu Jun 8 01:37:08 EDT 2000

Well, since I'm here...

Paul Prescod <paul at prescod.net> wrote:

> Ken Seehof wrote:
> >
> > Java definitely has a niche: embeded software for household appliances.
>
> I really don't see it having particular virtues there. Forth is more
> efficient and more runtime flexible. Python is easier to code. Scheme is
> smaller to implement. C has better real-time characteristics. Any of
> them can speak TCP/IP.
[snip]

Paul paul paul *Paul*! <sniff/> You forgot Smalltalk! :)

(And Scheme is only "smaller to implement" or *easier* to implement if
you do it in Scheme, or Common Lisp, or...After all, writing a GC, and
doing tail recursion, and continuations, *and* macros...in *C*...whew!
:))

(Er...actually, you forgot common lisp. CL-HTTP on Lisp Machines run the
White House documentation server. Franz just released "AllegroServe"
which is a much easier to understand HTTP server for Common Lisp which
they intend to be portable and Free, I believe. Several inititives to
marry CL and HTML/XML for page generation. Etc.

I really recommend that folks take a look at AllegroServe. I'm no Common
Lisper, but the architecture looked very straightforward and, indeed,
quite neat.)

--
Bijan Parsia
http://monkeyfist.com/