Parser project

Jon Riehl jriehl at lucent.com
Tue Jul 25 00:17:30 EDT 2000

Paul Prescod wrote:

> Here is a project for a parser hacker:
>
> Write a Python module that can read a grammar in the syntax that Python
> uses (see Grammar/Grammar in the source distribution) and generate a
> parser object without any special compilation stage:

Some of this stuff fits under the scope of the Basil project.
See the following URL's:

http://www.wildideas.org/basil/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/basil/
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?BasilProject

I have every intention of building a pgen integration for building
parsers from pgen specs.  However, the current CVS code only has
a parser for Bison grammars.  Parse trees would be dumped in either
an AST pickle format or XML (I need to whip my current C++ integration
into shape in order to illustrate the utility already hidden in Basil.)
A back end would then need to be developed to translate any other
language into a Python code object.

Via con GRAD,
-Jon