Variables in strings..

Richard Brodie R.Brodie at rl.ac.uk
Mon Jul 24 10:08:18 EDT 2000

"Gabriel Ambuehl" <gabriel_ambuehl at buz.ch> wrote in message
news:71330494285.20000724135012 at buz.ch...

> I really dislike all that HTML generators no matter if they are for
> Perl or Python. I've got my very own view about how I want to have my
> HTML code looking (imagine strongly idented, ie each element has got
> it's own identation level,  <table> constructs). Using some modules
> for it just won't do the job for me...

If you prefer, rolling your own template functions wouldn't be too hard.
For example, if you want to interpolate a list into a string:

>>> def format(template, *args):
               for element in args:
...                     template = re.sub('#', str(element), template, 1)
...            return(template)
>>> format('Value is # and # and #', 2, 3, 4)
'Value is 2 and 3 and 4'

No doubt re hackers could optimise the code further. One could
even (horrors) write a function that takes a string and does Perl style
substitution from the enclosing namespace.