Perl is worse!

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Sun Jul 30 17:45:33 EDT 2000

"Bill de hÓra" <bill at dehora.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
[snip]
> It's my hope that future languages will not allow in-code comments, the same
> way Python has dumped bracketing. Instead replace comments with naming,
> abstraction and unit tests. Comments are a story about code; too often that
> story is fairy tale.

> If you can't clarify your code without inline comments, you're not done.

I don't use inline comments that way. I simply write the comments before
I write the code, or change it. I say things like 'here I'm doing this'.
Inline comments describe the how; docstrings describe the what.

I also use inline comments for warnings (hairy code coming up, or 'hack!' or
FIXME).

I find them quite useful that way. Perhaps it'll be different if
there are a lot of people who change my code, but that's currently
not the case. Perhaps I've been lucky at not encountering bad comments
a lot yet, too. :)

Regards,

Martijn