Matlab vs Python (was RE: Discussion: Introducing new operators for matrix computation)

Bjorn Pettersen bjorn at roguewave.com
Mon Jul 17 20:03:58 EDT 2000

Huaiyu Zhu wrote:
[snip]
> The morale of the arguement is: requiring every syntax to be useful in every
> domain is too extreme and not quite useful.  But considering exactly what
> the domain is and exactly how it might be used may help.

I think you hit the crux of the problem. You want to add syntax that is
only useful in one domain, and that is too extreme.

Why don't you create a preprocessor that converts

  a .* b

into

  elementWiseMultiply(a,b)

and create an appropriate suffix for your matlab/python files (mpy?)
It's a pretty easy thing to do, and sounds much more appropriate in this
situation.

-- bjorn