Getting method from within method?

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Tue Jul 18 22:48:28 EDT 2000

In article <qnkitu3gd4m.fsf at arbutus.physics.mcmaster.ca>,
David M. Cooke <cookedm at physics.mcmaster.ca> wrote:
>I want to do recursion, like this:
>
>def factorial(n):
>    if n <= 1: return 1
>    else return n * factorial(n-1)
>
>However, this depends on the name of the method staying the same. For
>instance, if I did this:
>
>fact = factorial
>factorial = None
>
>fact(5) would give me an error since factorial isn't a method anymore.
>It would be nice if there was some way of referring to the method
>inside of the method.

While there are ways of getting to what you claim you want, IMO the most
appropriate answer is to remind you of the old joke:

"Doctor, it hurts when I whack my knee with a hammer."
"Well, don't do that!"
--
                      --- Aahz (Copyright 2000 by aahz at netcom.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

Q:  In a lesbian relationship, who decides who gets to be the man?
A:  It's two women.  There is no man.  That's the point.