Python luddites (was Re: Type inference now simplicity)

Steve Purcell stephen_purcell at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 26 20:44:08 EDT 2000

Shae Erisson wrote:
> And I'm opposed to it because it seems like sugar to me. I've always
> loved Python's simplicity, and I hope it stays that way.
> Adding new operators and new syntax will make Python harder to read, and
> harder to learn. I don't want that.

Yay! Python luddites unite!

It also seems to me that Python is popular and effective exactly because of
its simplicity. I love the fact that Perl folks rant about features
'missing' in Python only to find that the exact same functionality is
available in a nicely packaged form in a standard module (e.g., 're'). This
is the Python aesthetic, and I love it.

-Steve

--
Steve Purcell,  Technical Director, Inkontact
Get in touch at http://www.inkontact.com/