Local CGI programming

Alex Martelli alex at magenta.com
Fri Jul 14 10:01:51 EDT 2000

"Didier WILLAME" <didier.willame at ieee.org> wrote in message
news:396F0F28.7C8B8B83 at ieee.org...
> Hello all,
>
> I need to call a CGI python script with my web browser, on my WIN NT
> station (local hard drive).
>
> To test this, I have written the following script. But the new page
> (built by the python script) is not diplayed by the web browser!
>
> Is a http service needed to perform this test?

Yes, you need a HTTP server that supports CGI to test out CGI.

>   If yes, what minimal product propose you?

Python comes with a CGI-capable HTTP server but I have not
managed to make it run under NT (it uses fork and several other
Unix-only constructs).  The easiest solution for me was to install
Xitami, a free lightweight HTTP server, www.xitami.com; it was
a no-brainer to set up and use.  I'd much rather have a usable
Python CGI-capable server on my NT box, but that port would
have taken more effort and was not my focus at the time.

It also seems to me your script has one excess blank line between
headers and content, but I don't think this is your problem.

Alex