Pythonwin 132: Letters with Umlaut cause problems

neilh at scintilla.org.bbs neilh at scintilla.org.bbs
Mon Jul 17 05:40:05 EDT 2000

> working with the new Build 132 of Pythonwin we have a minor problem.
> German Umlauts are not handled properly in the editor windows.
> They are shown as boxes, some of them seem to be dead keys.
>
> The problem did not exist in previous builds.
> Does anyone have a hint ?

   132 defaults to using Unicode for editing Python source code and the
interactive window. To stop this, open Pythonwin\pywin\scintilla\view.py,
find the OnInitialUpdate method and comment out the two lines under "#
Enable Unicode if we can". Save the file, shut down Pythonwin and restart it
and see if this fixes the problem.

   Yes, there should be an option to control this.

   Neil