Operators for everything (was Re: Operators for matrix)

Michael Hudson mwh21 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Jul 27 03:24:06 EDT 2000

Greg Ewing <to_get_my_address at see.my.signature> writes:

[snip smalltalk inspired ideas]
> However, I don't think that any of this sort of thing
> is going to satisfy the mathematicians. Infix operators
> work not only because they are infix, but because they
> are extremely compact, allowing very complicated
> formulas to be expressed concisely yet readably.

But this is the problem! (as I see it)

If I see

A @mmul B

(or "A mmul: B" or "A :mmul B" (which I think is my favourite yet))
then I can have an informed guess at what is going on, but if I see

A %*!£ B

I've got no f**king clue!

[schnipp]
> I think we're just going to have to wait for Unicode
> before we can solve this in a really satisfactory way,
> folks.

Nah, not even then, I suspect.

Cheers,
M.
(who really really doesn't want to go to work today!)

--
  If I had wanted your website to make noise I would have licked
  my finger and rubbed it across the monitor.