Discussion: new operators for numerical computation

Travis Oliphant olipt at mayo.edu
Thu Jul 20 19:18:10 EDT 2000

> I would also suggest just using solve(A,B) for matrix solve.  It's not that
> long and its descriptive.

I tend to agree here.  The A\B syntax in Matlab is not especially
intuitive.

> The one issue that concerns me about this discussion is the continued narrow
> focus to emulate Matlab syntax to the exclusion of more general N-dimensional
> operations.  I can see the need for some more general operators, but I'm not
> for any of this, if all we're doing is defining 2-D Matlab syntax.   I
> suggest the Matlab people take a look at APL or J to get a broader
> perspective of array languages.

These are my sentiments too.  Huaiyu, it's obvious you've spent a lot of
time in Matlab but not so obvious that you've considered the design of
NumPy very much.  There was A LOT of discussion that wen't in to NumPy to
make it more generic than 2-D Matlab (I wouldn't be using it if it
weren't).  That's why you meet resistance when you seem to want to change
syntax to make just 2-D Matrix notation easier.

I think that 6+5 operators will never fly.  I think we'll be lucky if we
get four into Python itself.  I suppose if you want to maintain a
separate patched-interpreter than you can do whatever you feel best about,
though.. ;-)

-Travis