HTTPS support?

pehr anderson pehr at pehr.net
Thu Jul 20 00:19:25 EDT 2000

Dear Sean,

We had this same issue.
To solve it, we found that we could get what we needed by
using the command-line options available in the openssl package.
If your problem is more complicated than ours, you may be
interested in investing more time than us.

To do what we did, install openssl-0.9.5a-1 from
http://www.openssl.org
Binary RPMS are available from the http://openssh.com project
ftp://ftp1.usa.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/OpenSSH/portable/rpm/
"man openssl" should tell you how to work openssl
and you can run it from python with something like:
page = os.popen("echo %s | openssl" % cmds).read()
I don't remember exactly what we did so try your own thing.

Word on the street is that you should look in the
prereleases of python 1.6 (renamed 2.0)
for the "right" long-term solution.
I've downloaded the CVS and it looks like you will
have to uncomment a couple of lines in:

python/dist/src/Modules/Setup.in

Here is the relevant section:

# Socket module compiled with SSL support; you must edit the SSL
variable:
#SSL=/usr/local/ssl
#socket socketmodule.c \
#       -DUSE_SSL -I$(SSL)/include -I$(SSL)/include/openssl \
#       -L$(SSL)/lib -lssl -lcrypto

# The crypt module is now disabled by default because it breaks builds
# on many systems (where -lcrypt is needed), e.g. Linux (I believe).
#crypt cryptmodule.c # -lcrypt  # crypt(3); needs -lcrypt on some
systems

Good luck!
=	-pehr