Splitting c.l.py...

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Fri Jul 7 14:24:44 EDT 2000

In article <20000707140442.B4771 at kronos.cnri.reston.va.us>,
Andrew Kuchling  <akuchlin at mems-exchange.org> wrote:

>Beats me.  Hmm... here's a possibility: what if python-dev was
>gatewayed to a moderated newsgroup comp.lang.python.core-devel?
>Messages posted to the group via Usenet would just be bounced back to
>the poster, so there's no moderator approving messages, and python-dev
>would continue to be invitation-only.  Essentially the newsgroup would
>be a read-only view of the python-dev mailing list.
>
>Would that be possible?  Is there a Usenet precedent for this sort of
>setup?

It's certainly possible.  I'm not sure whether there's precedent for
this specific setup.  I can probably say that there'd be a fair amount
of pushback from news.groupies, including me, unless you can clearly
articulate why such a newsgroup would be useful.

Note that it should be simple to set up public read-only subscriptions
to python-dev; if it isn't simple, that's a bug in Mailman.  ;-)
--
                      --- Aahz (Copyright 2000 by aahz at netcom.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

"do you want my self-identities alphabetically, chronologically, or in
random order?"  -- Misha