iterating over lines in a file

Cliff Crawford cjc26 at nospam.cornell.edu
Fri Jul 21 18:14:55 EDT 2000

* nobody <no at bo.dy> menulis:

| now, this newbie has run into another perl idiom he'd like to figure out
| how to rewrite in python - "while (<FILE>) { print; }" - and, by extension,
| how to get python to print the string i hand it, the whole string i hand it,
| and nothing but the string i hand it?

Hmm..not quite sure what you mean..maybe you want to use
sys.stdout.write() instead?

| i despise machines trying to second-
| guess my intentions, and silly little print statements trying to be clever
| with their arguments are nothing more than that.

print doesn't really try to be clever with its arguments, except for
printing a space between each one and a newline at the end.  Maybe what
you're looking for is the format operator?

var=14
print "%s=%d" % ("var", var)

| even so, python is still worth trying to learn, IMO. its ways of dealing
| with regexps and substitution might not be as handy and convenient as
| perl's operators, but the re module seems to me to be more "programmable"
| somehow, easier to write code around.

Been a while since I've done perl, but I seem to remember it being
difficult to treat regexps as objects in themselves..for example, it's
hard to store a list of them, and then compare a string to each one in
the list later.

| i like it, i just wish its functions
| would be more consistent about what sort of regexps they want - either all
| compiled or all not compiled; i'm seeing some wanting one and some the
| other, for some reason. might be just my system, i suppose...

The two should be interchangable..AFAIK wherever you can use a
compiled regexp, you can use an uncompiled one, and vice-versa.

--
cliff crawford    -><-    http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/cjc26/
                          Synaesthesia now!            icq 68165166