How does Python compare to ?

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Mon Jul 31 07:32:04 EDT 2000

In article <Pine.GSO.4.10.10007311048410.10092-100000 at sundial>,
Moshe Zadka  <moshez at math.huji.ac.il> wrote:
			.
			.
			.
>Of course -- heck, even I use CGI for most of my web solutions. The thing
>is, I'm not (currently) a web developer -- so when I have a problem to
>solve, the most important thing for me is how long it takes to set up
>the solution. For that, CGI rocks. However, as soon as you care about
>either performance or about program scalability (IOW, once it's beyond
>a form-to-send-mail and its ilk) (and if you don't, then the only
>difference between Java servlets, PHP-plugin and Python CGI is the
>syntax), the CGI is the most horrible solution available.
>
>CGI requires always a process startup and usually interpreter (be it
>Tcl, Guile, Perl or Python) startup. That makes it unacceptable if there
>are more then 2 hits/second.
			.
			.
			.
I'm stuck.  It's going to be hard replying without
invocation of the canard about democracy being "the
most horrible solution available"--except for all
the rest.

Moshe and I are in agreement on all points, except
that I have customers receiving 20 hits per second
which they're contentedly satisfying with CGI-based
service.  Years ago, I thought it was ugly.  Now, I
just think I have bigger problems, and let CGI toil
on.
--

Cameron Laird <claird at NeoSoft.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net