Perl is worse!

Steve Lamb grey at despair.rpglink.com
Fri Jul 28 14:15:56 EDT 2000

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000 18:57:33 +0200, Alex Martelli <alex at magenta.com> wrote:
>which is concatenated with digits to make it unique.  (There also seems to
>be some problems with $index, which is never incremented, and $done,
>which is never set -- not clear what parts you have omitted).

    Correct, that is what happens when I do pseudo code off the cuff for an
example.

>But, back to %members...:
>Why organize it like that, rather than just index it directly with a
>(name,number) pair?  Presumably, because Perl cannot use a pair as an index,
>but wants a scalar?  But that's no problem in Python, so (guessing at your
>snipped parts):

    Exactly.  Actually I normally use something like $name."|".$index for a
later split().

>a single string, but the % operator has the advantage of being
>easily tailorable

   I never did like the whole placeholder for actual values in print
statements or other similar constructs.  I fail to see why one must do that
instead of putting what you want there.

>Two days?  It must be _at least_ 20 years that people on Usenet are putting
>down other languages (and operating systems, applications, computers, etc)
>for what they consider wrong.  Would you have us put them down for what we
>consider _right_?-)

    Yeah, yeah, I know this is Usenet.  So sue me for once in my life not
wanting to have to come into a new culture and atmosphere without having
everything that I have learned and liked up to this point blasted at every
corner for some ego building, ok?  I think I've been at least fair to Python,
all things consider.  I really do like the language, I guess I was just hoping
too much from the people.

>That Python has this specific wart does not mean that a language that
>has analogous and worse ones in a thousand places is just the same,
>of course:-).

    I'm not saying it is the same.  I am just refuting claims that Python
doesn't have then and that they are, senseless, wretched, horrible or any
other negative description people care to place on it.  It is different and as
someone (you, mayhap?) said that even typing isn't good in all cases.