Perl is worse! (was: Python is Wierd!)

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Sun Jul 30 14:35:17 EDT 2000

In article <8m1rka$tps$1 at slb2.atl.mindspring.net>,
Arthur Siegel <ajs at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>And some things simple in Python - a list of heterogenous instances
>that I can append and iterate - is a todo in Java.  Java just doesn't
>want to believe I might want to do such a silly thing. But I do.
>
>I certainly can understand why strict typing might be a good feature
>for large scale projects.
>
>But I certainly would disagree that it makes it easier to learn
>programming, or do programming.

I think you misunderstood large chunks of this thread.  Python *does*
have strict typing, but it is strict typing of objects, not of
variables.  That is, variables can point to an instance of *any* type of
object, but the objects that variables point to are *strongly* typed --
the operations that can then be performed on that variable's object are
highly restricted by its type (and/or interface if you want to get
nit-picky).

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

NOTE: end of September, Earthlink kills Netcom.  My new permanent address is
aahz at pobox.com.  I have not decided where to set my primary shell account.
Please do not send me e-mail condolences; my mailbox is already too big.