Perl is worse!

Paul Boddie paulb at infercor.no
Mon Jul 31 06:58:23 EDT 2000

Alex Martelli wrote:

> Nope -- it's perfectly defined by the C standard.  What IS implementation
> defined (or even undefined, I forget) is what happens if somebody *stores*
> new characters in an area defined as a string-literal (a strong "just don't
> do that!" in C:-).

I was slightly uncertain about that. But since it is the case that using the
increment operator on a pointer makes that pointer "move on" to the next element
in an array, so it must also be the case that adding 1 to a pointer does the
same thing.

It must be longer since I last used C in anger than I thought, and I must have
been even more tired than I believed I was on Friday. ;-)

Regards,

Paul