CXX and Swig, pros and cons

phil at geog.ubc.ca.bbs phil at geog.ubc.ca.bbs
Mon Jul 17 18:20:03 EDT 2000

Jérôme Lecomte <jlecomte at ifrance.com> writes:

> I am fairly new to Python and I'd like to interface part of a medium
> size C++ lib (around 70 classes) to Python. I looked on the www and I
> found CXX and Swig. They seem to have fairly different approach of the
> problem. I wonder which suits best C++.

I find that CXX has quite a few  advantages, e.g:

1) Automatic memory management (no worrying about INCREFs or DECREFs)

2) CXX Dict, List, Tuple String, Array, etc.

3) Integration of Python and C++ exceptions

4) Automatic generation of method tables

> If I miss any other tool, please let me know.

You might want to take a look at SCXX:

http://www.mcmillan-inc.com/scxx.html

Regards, Phil