readline.c & more

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Wed Jul 5 18:25:11 EDT 2000

On Wed, Jul 05, 2000 at 11:44:29PM +0000, Peter Schneider-Kamp wrote:

> Johannes Zellner wrote:

> >  ²) I modified Modules/readline.c so that it allows reading and
> >     writing of a history file. I also plan to implement readline
> >     functions as `stifle history'. Eventually I'd also add the
> >     possiblity to register a script completer which would be
> >     called before the builtin completers. My question about
> >     this: where would I post patches ? -- I've an account on
> >     SF for other projects, but as this is my first mail to the
> >     list I'd understand if you won't trust me ;-)

> mailto:patches at python.org
> for more details check out http://www.python.org/patches

Actually, SourceForge is now preferred over patches at python.org.
http://www.python.org/patches also reflects this, by the way ;) Looking at
the number of patches that were submitted (mostly backlog) and processed, I
believe the SF patch manager is working out reasonably OK, even if it has
some oddities. Then again, I only submit the odd patch, dont apply them
myself ;)

Additionally, I think Skip Montanaro (skip at mojam.com) is also working on
making readline/rlcompleter write a history file, though I don't know if
calling external scripts is on his wishlist. You might want to coordinate
with him.

> >  ³) Is there a forum for developers? This list seems more for
> >     users isn't it ?

> there is. but it's hard to get in (still trying). the mailing
> list python-dev is probably what you are looking for.

python-dev at python.org and patches at python.org are both invite-only, but the
archives are public (and they're up to date again, too :):

http://www.python.org/pipermail/python-dev
http://www.python.org/pipermail/patches

If you want to talk shop about a patch you wrote, and you don't feel
confident enough to upload it to SourceForge, python-dev at python.org is the
right email address. Unless there is an active SIG or such on the subject,
of course.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>