reading joystick info

Jonathan B. York jbyork at iglou.com
Sun Jul 16 00:22:33 EDT 2000

Hi,

I have a simple little C program that gets the "name" of the device at
/dev/js0.  I would like to know if it is possible to do this in Python.
I've seen that there is code for joysticks with PySDL, but I just want
this simple function and don't want to bother with all that.

This is what the C program does:

#include <sys/ioctl.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <linux/joystick.h>

#define NAME_LENGTH 128

int main (int argc, char **argv)
{
        int fd;
        char name[NAME_LENGTH] = "Unknown";

        if ((fd = open(argv[argc - 1], O_RDONLY)) < O) {
                perror("jstest");
                exit(1);
        }

        ioctl(fd, JSIOCGNAME(NAME_LENGTH), name);

        printf("Joystick -> %s", name);
}

If anyone has any advice, I'd really appreciate it.  :)

Thanks in advance,

jonathan