Making tabs illegal

Forrest Cahoon fcahoon at my-deja.com
Fri Jul 7 18:23:18 EDT 2000

In article <3950C0E2.7532D38 at sightreader.com>,
  Ken Seehof <kens at sightreader.com> wrote:
> [ ... ]
>
> As for the space/tab mixing issue, the answer is simple: Make tab an
> illegal character in python.  Problem solved.

Has anyone tried to patch the python sources to do this?  I'm too
uncomfortable with the tab/space ambiguity to do serious work in python
(in a team environment with programmers of varying skill levels) but
this would *totally* solve it for me.

I'd love it if I could just #define TABS_ARE_EVIL when I build the
python interpreter and be done with it.

I'd still allow tabs in interactive python sessions, and just disallow
them in files.

I started to look at the python sources to do this myself, but I'm sure,
since I'm totally unfamiliar with the internals at this point, my
solution would probably be an ugly hack.

Is anyone who's more familiar with the code interested in providing a
patch like this?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.