Operators for everything (was Re: Operators for matrix)

Timothy H. Keitt keitt at nceas.ucsb.edu
Tue Jul 25 15:49:08 EDT 2000

Greg Ewing wrote:

> Phil Austin wrote:
> >
> > %%                       Arithmetic Operators (base)
> > %*%                      Matrix Multiplication (base)
> > %/%                      Arithmetic Operators (base)
> > %in%                     Value Matching (base)
> > %o%                      Outer Product of Arrays (base)
> > %x%                      Kronecker Product of Arrays (base)
> > &                        Logical Operators (base)
> > &&                       Logical Operators (base)
>
> I think this must be the *worst* looking syntax that's
> been proposed so far...

I'm agnostic as I don't use currently python. (I'm evaluating it for
teaching numerical analysis and modeling.)  But I will say, there is not
going to be a 'beautiful' syntax solution based on the available symbols
(and how attractive a syntax looks depends highly on what you are used
to seeing).  Keep to that argument and I guarantee that the issue will
not be resolved.

Tim

--
Timothy H. Keitt
National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis