Discussion: Introducing new operators for matrix computation

paul at prescod.net.bbs paul at prescod.net.bbs
Mon Jul 17 19:10:03 EDT 2000

Gareth McCaughan wrote:

> Only if you implement matrices as lists of lists, in which
> case operations like * and / won't work anyway. I was assuming
> that (1) you have a special Matrix class, and (2) the machinery
> for list comprehensions is flexible enough to let it express
> other kinds of mapping.

Today, the list comprehension syntax is syntactic sugar for

a=[]
for i in firstloop:
	for j in secondloop: ...
		a.append( i, j )

I don't see any easy way to guess what type you want as "output" so it
has to default to a fixed type. You could of course do this:

Matrix( [...] )

I would be curious about ideas for allowing the output object to be
specified or inferred. What would the protocol be?

It's difficult to extract sense from strings, but they're the only
communication coin we can count on.
	- http://www.cs.yale.edu/~perlis-alan/quotes.html