Python Path Browser

Boudewijn Rempt boud at rempt.xs4all.nl
Wed Jul 12 14:05:16 EDT 2000

Greg Fortune <gfortune at micron.net> wrote:
> My team is using with Qt for a project we are working on and Idle doesn't
> seem to handle the Qt code very well so Nedit is a very suitable alternative
> for an editor and the python shell for testing/execution.  On the other
> hand, the Path Browser included with Idle is absolutely great.  I haven't
> dug around it the code much, but I assume it would be fairly straightforward
> to detach the Path Browser from the main Idle interface and use it as a
> stand-alone.  Has anyone done this already, and if so, is it available?  If
> not, has anything similar been developed?

It's as if I hear myself thinking, a few months ago... Or is it
time-travel? Anyway, you can find a port of the Idle class browser
to PyQt (for Qt 2.x) and to PyKDE (KDE 1.12) at my website. It's got
a few extra functions (you can add a path to the tree), and a bug
(there's a button that once did reload the current path, but have
somehow rebugged it...) The out-of-the-box editor is Nedit, too. To use
another editor you have to hack the source a bit.

Go to:

  http://www.valdyas.org/python/kpybrowser.html

for the browser. There's other stuff on PyKDE and PyQt at

  http://www.valdyas.org/python

too, which you might like to take a peek at.

--

Boudewijn Rempt  | http://www.valdyas.org