Advice sought: text-mode (but not CLI) apps in Windows console ?

Fred Pacquier fredp at mygale.org.nospam
Wed Jul 19 07:38:33 EDT 2000

Hi,

The other day I had an idea for something I wanted to do in Python. It is
to be run under Windows (9x), but for various reasons I did not want to do
a full Windows GUI (like with Tk or wxPython). I did not have a pure CLI
app in mind either, but wanted to provide some sort of simple character-
mode interface to the user, in a Windows console (DOS box).

Since then I have been through what I believe to be a reasonably thorough
Web search (from Parnassus outwards) to find something to get me started,
and have turned up precious little. Various Python bindings of curses or
ncurses exist, but can one run curses itself under Win 9x ? Or are there
other, well-hidden libraries or modules that do more or less the same thing
on that platform ? (I'm not asking for something as high-level and
extensive as the Borland OWL of old :-)

Thanks,

FP

--