Books

Dennis Lee Bieber wlfraed at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jul 3 14:57:58 EDT 2000

On 3 Jul 2000 12:05:06 GMT, m.faassen at vet.uu.nl (Martijn Faassen)

> Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> > 	Beginners in programming;
>
> I saw others recommend Learning Python; I wouldn't do so for beginners
> in programming. The Quick Python book or Python in 24 Hours seem to be
> better suited for this.

	I'm so far out of that stage I no longer know what I'd recommend
-- other than /not/ C, C++, or some variant of BASIC (especially the one
M$ is pushing -- seen the recent "learn VB6" books... apparently the
"learning edition" of VB6 is too expensive, the books include a "working
model" edition, which appears to be strictly an interpreter within the
development environment with to capability for stand-alone programs).

> > 	beginners in OO...
>
> I'm not sure how good Learning Python is at teaching OO concepts to people
> who don't know about it yet. *Python* would be good though. Any opinions?

	I'm afraid I'm somewhat biased (and not too skilled in OOP
either), but my background leads me to believe one should first learn OO
concepts divorced from any particular language -- OO analysis and design
-- and then translate the design into the particulars of an
implementation language.