newbie unimpressed...

sharkey3 at my-deja.com sharkey3 at my-deja.com
Mon Jul 17 16:10:58 EDT 2000

I have much experience in tcl and perl, and I have finally found a good
project to learn python with.  Unfortunately, I am very frustrated so
far with the language.  Although maybe it's just with the documentation.

I'm serious.  The documentation really sucks.
Example:  where is the % operator documented for strings?

Ok, maybe the debugger sucks worse.  I've already read the documentation
for pdb, but I must be missing something.

Here's my test.py:
#!/usr/bin/python

print 'hi'

Here's my debugging session:
$ python /usr/lib/python1.5/pdb.py test.py
> <string>(0)?()
(Pdb) l
[EOF]
(Pdb) n
> <string>(1)?()
(Pdb)
hi
--Return--
> <string>(1)?()->None
(Pdb)
$

Notice that the 'l' command does nothing.  How do I see what line I am
on?
What does "> <string>(0)?()" tell me?

(I'm using python 1.5.1 on Redhat 5.2)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/