Open letter to Guido van Rossum

Dan Grassi Dan at Grassi.org
Mon Jul 24 00:02:57 EDT 2000

Hi Guido,

Well, I am rather ambivalent about 1.6.  See, I really like python and
want to use it at work, a dot-com --- in fact I would like it to be the
standard.  But I doubt that it will come to pass, there are to many
stumbling blocks.

First and foremost is database support as a part of the languare
_package_!  In particulay I need Oracle on ix86, a not uncommon database.
 But that is no trivial task.  Thus python fails because it can not be
used in a production environment that involves Oracle.

Then there is the mod-python/mod_pyapache mess, two competing versions
both with major problems ranging from re not working in the module
version of mod_python to memory leaks in both versions.  Memory leaks are
a major problem in a shop that is serving over 1 million pages a day.

Also in the area of divergence is the MySQL database interface modules,
there are at least two and I believe four current versions.

OK, but this is not python!  Well, technically that is true but these are
problems when one tries to use python in production!

I suggest that you, Guido van Rossum, father and inventor of Python,
"bless" some versions and thus get development behind single versions
instead of diverging from each other.  Thjis in much the same manner that
Linus blesses a release of Linux.

Oh well, this is just wishing upon a star. :-)  At least I do get to use
python on occasion, thanks.

Dan Grassi