PYRO, XML-RPC, and their friends.

Stephen Hansen stephen at cerebralmaelstrom.com
Mon Jul 3 05:24:06 EDT 2000

Okay, apparently i'm entering another one of my Twenty Questions phases.

I've discovered recently that I have a need for some Client/Server db
fucntionality in the python project that i'm working on. What I don't
want is to have to deal with installing some Big Bunch Of Crap that
will be needed to support my program, and even though I know nothing
about ODBC, it seems like that would include more baggage then its
worth in this instance.. not to mention i'd _like_ to maybe eventually
have my little windows program run on Linux...maybe

Anyways. It might be a bit overly complicated in and of itself, but the
way i've thought of doing it is just setting up PYRO, XML-RPC, etc, to
communicate between my Server and its Clients, to then access a MetaKit
controlled on the server.

I have two questions:

#1) How fast are these? There might actually be a need to transmit
quite a bit of data between the client and the server -- over an
ethernet LAN connection, prolly.. Some of this data might actually be
binary files, either stored in the db or on the side, and i'd need to
be transmitting that across also. I don't know how long it'd take one
of these systems to send across a multi-megabyte binary file.. The rest
of the data i'd be sending would be irrelevant in comparison.

#2) Is there a Better Way? Keep in mind that i don't want to include a
lot of stuff extra which is going to require installation if I don't
have to..

Thanks!

--Stephen

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/