Discussion: new operators for numerical computation

Huaiyu Zhu hzhu at knowledgetrack.com
Wed Jul 19 20:14:58 EDT 2000

On 19 Jul 2000 22:26:46 GMT, Aahz Maruch <aahz at netcom.com> wrote:

>Um, has Guido actually given a go-ahead for adding to the language, or
>has Guido simply asked for a complete proposal to *consider* putting
>into the language?  Do you have a handy reference for his precise words?

I think the second characterization is more accurate.  The only reference is
the quote from Tim:

> Sleeping in the same room with Guido for a night did not make it easier to
> channel him, but it did make it easier to cloud his mind:  Guido is not
> opposed to adding new operator symbols to core Python.  As of breakfast
> Tuesday, anyway, and there are witnesses, so he'll have trouble changing his
> mind (well, it will be clumsy for him to *admit* it if he changes his mind
> <wink> ...).

[snip]

For some reason Tim's post is not showing up here after more than half a
day, but I find it already in the pipermail archive.  It probably will come
up soon.  I've also forwarded a copy here.

My impression is that this issue now does not depend on issues like
necessity and application domain, but on the design and implementation of
the actual thing.  Since we already have a working prototype the issue
appears to mainly rest on the overall design, imho.

Huaiyu