[FAQTS] Python Knowledge Base Update -- July 31st, 2000

Fiona Czuczman fiona at sitegnome.com
Mon Jul 31 07:23:36 EDT 2000

Hi Guys,

Yet another instalment of entries into http://python.faqts.com

regards,

Fiona

## New Entries #################################################

IDLE startup error on WinNT/Win2K - "tcl80.dll not found"
http://www.faqts.com/knowledge-base/view.phtml/aid/5107
David Goggin
http://x56.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=646656643&CONTEXT=964987060.1387921411&hitnum=3

This entry addresses the error message received when starting IDLE that
begins "The dynamic link library tcl80.dll could not be found in the
specified path c:\program files\python\DLLs;.;(etc.)".

Apparently the installation process for Python 1.5.2 sometimes fails to
make necessary additions to the PATH. The result is the error message
given above whenever IDLE is started.

To remedy this, add the following to the PATH environment variable:

   C:\Program Files\Python;C:\Program Files\Tcl\bin

On WinNT/Win2K, the PATH can edited by right clicking "My Computer",
selecting properties, and clicking "Environment Variables" (it's on the
Advanced tab in Win2K).

How can I connect to a Windows DDE Server via Python?
http://www.faqts.com/knowledge-base/view.phtml/aid/5111
Fiona Czuczman
Penfold

This is fairly easy using the dde module that comes with Mark Hammonds
ever invaluable win32all distribution.

http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/

Once you've grabbed it look at files in the win32/demos/dde subdirectory
of your Python directory.  You'll see connecting as a DDE client is a
piece of cake.

I'm not sure how warm/hot DDE links can be implementing using it but
static requests and Execs are no problem.