Newbie pythoner, with bizzare problem

Bjorn Pettersen bjorn at roguewave.com
Sat Jul 22 11:47:39 EDT 2000

Donn Cave wrote:

> Quoth claird at starbase.neosoft.com (Cameron Laird):

[snip]

> | You're also right that
> |   from os import *
> | is, of course, universally deprecated.
>
> So where do so many new programmers learn to do this?
> This is a serious question.  Is there some tutorial
> out there that leads them astray?

I think it's probably the other way around... the tutorials don't warn
them about it enough. When I started programming Python, I also had the
attitude that "I know what's in that module, and I don't feel like
typing 'os.' everytime I use a function from it -- after all that's why
I imported it..."  Needless to say that has changed ;-)  (I usually
never say "using namespace std;" in C++ anymore either <wink>)

-- bjorn