Operators for matrix: current choices (Was Matlab vs Python ...)

Charles Boncelet boncelet at eecis.udel.edu
Wed Jul 19 14:45:29 EDT 2000

Paul Prescod wrote:

> Tim Hochberg wrote:
> >
> > Similarly:
> >
> > dot((A,B), C) -> A(B)(C)
> > dot(A, dot(B,C) -> A(B(C))
> >
> > which looks pretty good to me. And it's arguably closer to paper
> > linear algebra notation than A*B is.
>
> Another good idea! You can even make it look like the new-syntax
> proposal:
>
> A()*B()*C
> A()+B()+C
> A()-B()-C

Please don't do either of these.  This solution is worse than the
original problem.  To a mathematician, A() and A(B) look too much
like function calls and not like multiplication.
--
Charles Boncelet                              302-831-8008
Dept of Electrical and Computer Engineering   302-831-4316 (fax)
University of Delaware                        boncelet at eecis.udel.edu
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~boncelet/