Microsoft's C# (Sharp) & .NET -- A Heads Up

dkuhlman at netcom.com.bbs dkuhlman at netcom.com.bbs
Mon Jul 17 12:50:01 EDT 2000

This is *very* exciting news for me.  Here's why: We make a Web
server add-on that has the CPython interpreter embedded in it.
This enables our users to extend the mainframe applications that we
deliver/host with Python scripts.  At some time in the future, if
all the silliness about Java does not quiet down, we will be able
to embed JPython into our product so that our users would be able
to extend their applications with Python code which integrates with
their Java code.  And, if the sillines about C# turns out not to be
a hoax, with the work Mark is doing, we might be able to embed
C#Python into our product so that our users could extend their
applications with Python code which integrates with their C# code.

Now, I ask you, what other scripting language would enable me to
support that breadth of users? Incredible.

One thing (among many) that I do not understand is how C#Python can
both compile directly to IL (intermediate language?) and produce a
.DLL/.EXE.  Does the .EXE contain both an interpreter (VM ?) and
the IL (byte code?) that it interprets?  Or does IL mean that the
machine code is in there, but augmented with some meta-information
for debuggers and other tools?  Or, what?

  - Dave