Dummies guide to freeze/standalone?

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Mon Jul 10 15:19:34 EDT 2000

level2junkie at my-deja.com wrote in <8kcmv4$uqo$1 at nnrp2.deja.com>:

>Can someone out there give me a direct answer on
>how to freeze a block of python script files?
>I've written a program that spans several files,
>but I can't seem to figure out how to package
>them.  I'd like to be able to run this program on
>a machine that doesn't have python installed on
>it, otherwise what's the point?  Has anyone out
>there figured out how to do this?  If so can you
>please help me?

That might depend on how you managed to write a program that "spans several
script files".

In the normal case, there's one script which imports other modules. Then
 >python <pathto>\Freeze.py <script>
or
 >python <pathto>\Standalone.py <script>
usually just works.

But if you're using "__import__" instead of "import", you'll have to go a
level deeper and hand craft a config file for Builder.py.

And if you're using something like "execfile", well, you've got the source
;-).

-Gordon