Open letter to Guido van Rossum

ajsiegel at my-deja.com ajsiegel at my-deja.com
Tue Jul 25 13:31:27 EDT 2000

In article <8lk5t6$jb2$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,
  Andy Freeman <anamax at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Here's the conversation.
>  -snip-
> The challenger has to be better on a number of dimensions and can
> only be worse on trivial details - otherwise the incumbent wins.
> ("No one else here knows the language" is a very powerful argument
> in a world where staffing is so difficult.)

I'm sure you are describing a reality.

More people will know Python when more people are making a living
at it. So its a bit of a dog chasing its tail.

That Guido and other "founders" (the ActiveState guys) have had to
scramble a bit (it seems) to make a living with Python is on one hand
disconcerting. The fact that they seem to be getting there is hopeful.

But as the world turns, so that when you are VP and insisting on using
Python and there's a new fokochta (pardon my Yiddish)language someone
in your department is crying for  - maybe they'll be right, too (but
don't give in).

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.