Py_Apache Vs. mod_python

David N. Welton davidw at linuxcare.com
Sun Jul 9 12:54:57 EDT 2000

Tim Roberts <timr at probo.com> writes:

> I'll say.  Am I correct in understanding that the basic purpose of
> "mod_snake" is to allow me to write other Apache modules in Python,
> while PyApache is a module which lets me run Python CGI scripts
> without launching a separate interpreter, just like mod_perl?

mod_perl lets you do a whole ton of things, including writing Apache
modules in Perl.

> I tried to get interested in PHP, but the more I read, the more it
> seemed to be a confused mishmash of features gathered from other
> places.  I thought it might be nice to be able to write web pages
> that were mostly HTML, with server-side scripts interspersed, but it
> seems that many PHP pages are written like CGI scripts that happen
> to run inside Apache.  As long as I'm going to do that, I'd rather
> use Python.

I might also suggest mod_dtcl (http://comanche.com.dtu.dk/dave/),
which lets you use a 'non-web' language.  It's quite fast, as well
(doesn't load a new interpreter for each page).

Ciao,
--
David N. Welton, Responsabile Progetti Open Source, Linuxcare Italia spa
tel +39.049.8043411 fax +39.049.8043412 cel +39.348.2879508