Content of the Perl6 talk

Dan Kuchler kuchler at ajubasolutions.com
Fri Jul 28 02:23:26 EDT 2000

Cameron Laird wrote:

> <URL:http://deja.com/=dnc/getdoc.xp?AN=651665267> is the most pro-
> vocative summary I've yet seen of Larry Wall's talk at the O'Reilly
> Open Source Convention.  Mark-Jason Dominus's typically masterful
> <URL:http://www.perl.com/pub/2000/07/perl6.html> provides technical
> details.  I think at least the first of these will reward a quick
> read by everyone involved in planning the futures of, for example,
> Python and Tcl.  I applaud Conrad Schneiker for his care in prepar-
> ing this.

More interesting to me (and perhaps more interesting to some here in
the comunity) are the notes from the initial brainstorming session
on July 17th about what Perl 6 will be (what are the reasons for
making it, what features might be added, etc.)

http://www.perl.org/perl6/pr/initial_meeting.html

Lots if interesting little tidbits in here.

They talk of adding stacked IO channels "a l a Tcl"
an event loop similar to tcls to allow packges like Tk
to play better with perl, and they talk about basing
the rewrite around unicode and threads, since it has
been difficult for them to get unicode and threads working
with the Perl 5 sources.

These are just a few of the interesting things mentioned in that
article.

To steal some terminology, I like their naming of what we call
the "Tcl sumo distribution", the Perl SDK.  A set of useful extensions
and tools that will be distributed with Perl 6.

--Dan