The State of Python

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Thu Jul 27 18:37:14 EDT 2000

[Stian Husemoen]
> If Python had the GPL-license we would never have gotten into
> this mess.

Indeed, if Python had been GPL'ed it may not even have survived until now
<wink>.

> My main argument for *not* using Python at first was that it didn't
> have the GPL attached to it... Yes, the GPL is more restricive
> but you can't have both ways.

The old Python license served it very well for a decade.  The new Python
license will almost certainly also be OSI certified, *compatible* with the
GPL, and allow proprietary commercial use.  What we haven't been able to
avoid is massively unproductive legal wrangling -- but nothing can guarantee
to save you from that.

> There will always be a danger of this happening again until someone
> make a GNU version of Python. (btw. would this be possible?)

The old (still current, as of today) Python license was very permissive.  If
you want to grab the source for Python 1.5.2 and re-release it under the
GPL, I think that would be fine.  CNRI may not agree, though.  Can't guess
about the new Python license (I've seen working drafts, but I don't feel
that I understand it well enough to hazard a guess about what it means in
all cases).