The State of Python

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Thu Jul 27 15:26:00 EDT 2000

Tim Peters <tim_one at email.msn.com> wrote:
[snip]
> I'm not a lawyer either (as you well know <wink>), but at least in America
> you hold copyright on your works whether or not you state it explicitly.

I believe it's actually the same in other countries in which the
Berne convention on copyright is in effect. If you write it, you get
copyright, basically.

Ah, right, article 5:

(2) The enjoyment and the exercise of these rights shall not be subject to
any formality; such enjoyment and such exercise shall be independent of
the existence of protection in the country of origin of the work. Consequently,
 apart from the provisions of this Convention, the extent of protection,
as well as the means of redress afforded to the author to protect his rights,
shall be governed exclusively by the laws of the country where
protection is claimed.

Regards,

Martijn