Matlab vs Python (was RE: Discussion: Introducing new operators for matrix computation)

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Thu Jul 20 02:51:19 EDT 2000

John Lull wrote:

>    a..newOp..(b..otherOp..c)

I really like the fact that the operator uses a word instead of a
cryptic symbol, but I can't understand why anyone would prefer the above
to:

a.newOp(b.otherOp(c))

The only thing you've bought is the ability to look up the operation on
the right-side of the operator and a slightly more symmetric "look".

"Hardly anything more unwelcome can befall a scientific writer than
having the foundations of his edifice shaken after the work is
finished.  I have been placed in this position by a letter from
Mr. Bertrand Russell..."
 - Frege, Appendix of Basic Laws of Arithmetic (of Russell's Paradox)