Is the "Be" significant? (Re: The State of Python)

Donn Cave donn at oz.net
Fri Jul 28 00:20:58 EDT 2000

Quoth chrish at pobox.com.invalid (Chris Herborth):
| According to Steve Lamb <morpheus at here.not.there>:
|> On Thu, 27 Jul 2000 15:29:15 GMT, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
|>> If anything, "Be" made a rather confusing choice of name.
|>
|>     Well, I think it fits if what I hear about what it stands for is true.
|> BeOS - Bleeding edge Operating System.  Considering they designed it from the
|> ground up for the latest hardware at the time it fits.  Otherwise, yeah.
|
| The legend is that, before they had a name, someone took a dictionary home
| and got too bored after looking through... they ended at the end of A;
| someone asked how far they got, "B" was the reply, someone thought that was
| a good name, the rest is history...

Only problem I have with it is that it's hard to hear - the uninitiated
hear B-O-S.  I think it's a rather Pythonic choice of name, in the Flying
Circus sense though, but a name with the epic lunatic quality that fits
when you set up shop in the nineties with a new OS.  "BeOpen" isn't in the
same league, a good name to jump on the bandwagon with.

	Donn Cave, donn at oz.net