POOP / Python (Object Oriented Persistence) ?

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) tony at lsl.co.uk
Fri Jul 7 08:58:06 EDT 2000

Since femigier has mentioned Java projects, I'll mention PJama, at

	http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/pjava/

I don't know what the Perl projects are trying to do, but PJama was aiming
at bringing orthogonal persistence (which has been around in various
academic languages for a while, but never in the mainstream) into a popular
language.

Being able to rely on objects still being around at the next invocation of a
program without the programmer having to (seem to) take any special action
can make certain types of application rather quicker to write ("certain
types" including things like GIS, for instance).

Unfortunately, I think PJamas chance of ever making mainstream Java died
some years back (boo hoo), 'cos it would have been really neat.

If that's what's being talked about, it's a bit beyond just having *Pickle
around (and if it's not what's being talked about, that's a pity), and I
think Zope, etc., aren't quite talking about the same thing either.

[One of the other exciting aspects of the Glasgow efforts is/was that they
were also looking carefully at the problems of versioning, multi-user
access, persistence over LARGE networks, etc. - all the real problems one
would get if one actually *used* the stuff]

Sorry - for a while I was working in Glasgow, and this just caught my
imagination when I was there...

Tibs

--
Tony J Ibbs (Tibs)      http://www.tibsnjoan.demon.co.uk/