Operators for everything (was Re: Operators for matrix)

Bill Whiten W.Whiten at mailbox.uq.edu.au
Fri Jul 21 02:58:29 EDT 2000

In article <3977AF5E.552F4F42 at my.signature>, Greg Ewing <see at my.signature>
wrote:
> Python with its overloadable operators can be thought of
> as a meta-language for creating domain-specific languages.
> But the number of operators is too restricted for it to
> be really good in this role. Operator overloading feels like
> something tacked on as an afterthought rather than a
> serious feature. I don't think it's unreasonable
> to consider whether this situation could be improved.

I would prefer the normal oprerators plus an escape character followed by
additional characters to define new operators eg @+ @div etc.

Regards,
Bill Whiten,                                     W.Whiten at mailbox.uq.oz.au
Julius Kruttschnitt Mineral Research Centre,
The University Of Queensland,                       Tel: int +61 7 3365 5888
Isles Rd, Indooroopilly,                            Fax: int +61 7 3365 5999
Brisbane Qld 4068, AUSTRALIA.