Newbie DATA STRUCTURES Question.

gbp gpepice1 at nycap.rr.com
Fri Jul 28 22:57:03 EDT 2000

Hi all,

I have experience with Perl but non with Python.

I need to write a script to read a large text file into a structured
format.

In Perl one can create a list of records using something like pointers.
So really you have a list of pointers-- each one pointing to an
anonymous record.  Each record is some data from a line in the file.

Since I learned data structures in languages with pointers (C, pascal)
I'm stuck.  How does one go about constructing a list of records in
python?  My python is still pretty weak.  I understand how the lists
work (a lot like Perl).  I understand that you can use objects as
records.  I don't really get the full OOP though.  I guess that you
can't make record anonymous in python?  Is that right?  Can you have
pointers?

When I was learning Perl I found a manual page on this.  Couldn't find a
example for Python.  Hope that doesn't mean it can't be done.

Any hints are welcome!!

(reply to email and group)

Thanks.