Microsoft's C# (Sharp) & .NET -- A Heads Up

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Tue Jul 11 20:48:04 EDT 2000

Neil Hodgson wrote:

>    One report at http://www.codeproject.com/ says """As all languages now
> compile to the same result, performance for all languages from C# and VB to
> Python and Eiffel will have exactly the same performance. """. I don't
> really believe this as the different capabilities of the different languages
> will lead to different performance. Hoever, as all languages will be using
> some common substrate code for features like memory management and exception
> handling, performance levels for the different languages will be closer than
> before.

I don't buy that for a second! Languages like Java and Python achieve
some level of performance by tweaking the VM and language in concert.
You could develop a language that flew like a bat out of hell on
Microsoft's VM. You might even call it "C#" :). You could also imagine a
language that mixes with Microsoft's VM like oil and water. We'll have
to see the VM to know what language that would be.
Simplicity does not precede complexity, but follows it.
	- http://www.cs.yale.edu/~perlis-alan/quotes.html