[3rd Draft] Open Letter to CNRI: Request for clarification

Peter Schneider-Kamp nowonder at nowonder.de
Mon Jul 31 02:52:20 EDT 2000

Thanks for all the feedback on the letter!

Guido mentioned that a compromise may be ahead today (Monday):
http://www.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2000-July/110928.html

I think I should wait for the results of this. But even when such
a legal compromise is reached, a clarification about the motives
in non-legalese could be worth sending a letter.

For now a 3rd draft (based mostly on your feedback):

--- begin open letter
To: Dr. Robert E. Kahn <rkahn at cnri.reston.va.us>,
    (president of The Corporation for National Research Initiatives)

Dear Mr. Kahn,

as a member of the Python community which gathers around the newsgroup
comp.lang.python I would like to express my concern about the latest
license issues that have arisen around the new 1.6/2.0 releases.

The following attached signatures represent people from the Python
community who would like some clarification regarding the future of the
Python language. As of now, there has been no official statement from
your institution regarding the new Python license. We are especially
interested in the underlying intention of this change. So we request
a plain-English, non-legalese statement regarding the purpose of that
change and the ways in which it affects Python's use.

Kind regards,
Peter Schneider-Kamp
--- end open letter
--- begin signature list
Martijn Faassen
Jay Graves
Konrad Hinsen (Centre de Biophysique Moleculaire (CNRS))
Gareth McCaughan
David Mertz (author of a Python column for IBM developerworks)
Moshe Zadka (mathematician, Python developer)
--- end signature list

Please add/change/remove your signatures.

Feedback as always strongly appreciated.

or-should-I-send-the-1st-draft-<wink>-ly y'rs
Peter
--
Peter Schneider-Kamp          ++47-7388-7331
Herman Krags veg 51-11        mailto:peter at schneider-kamp.de
N-7050 Trondheim              http://schneider-kamp.de