The State of Python

Dan Kuchler kuchler at ajubasolutions.com
Thu Jul 27 17:09:24 EDT 2000

Andrew Dalke wrote:

> Right, and then I would still be using Tcl or start looking at
> Lua or Ruby or other languages.

Tcl is licensed under the BSD license (which is less at least a
standard license, and is not as restrictive as the GPL license).

One advantage of using the BSD license is that it allows the language
to be used as part of a commercial product, without the rest of the
source for that product having to be open sourced.

This has allowed tcl to be used in lots of commercial products.

I hope that whatever license Python ends up with, that it will
promote the use of Python and won't restrict its applications.

--Dan