Why make a language case sensitive?

Anders Eggers-Krag aek at aek.dk
Fri Jul 14 21:33:55 EDT 2000

I would say that it improves syntax consequense, leading to more readable
code
for others, you are never in doubt about what to look for when looking for a
keyword,

in VB you might look for IF, If or if, and they look very different, and it
becomes a lot harder
to read somebody elses code.

the case insensitivity is nice when I am the only one to read my code as I
could then choose my
own obscure notation such as mYmetOd() and keep it consequent writing dEf,
claSs, If eTc.
wheras case sensitivity makes it more natural to keep a more sensitive
manner such as myMethod()
MyMethod() or my_method() throughout that everyone can agree on, I believe
that case sensitivity
leads to more uniform code, that again makes it easier to read your
collegues code. And i think it should
seem natural to everyone, after all books are written in case sensitive...
you can't write: "i Am the wisEst
One of aLl." and be taken seriously

But it depends on which kind of access is needed to the system ie it would
be dreadfull if DNS
or SMTP servers were case sensitive and  user enters MicroSoft.com and gets
nowhere because
he should have written microsoft.com.

--
Anders Eggers - Krag

news:000801bfeda1$fcd99a20$6cb745c6 at timaratz...